I am writing this blog as I sit in Idaho Falls next to the Snake River Falls. The water is ruuning fast and high and I love the sound of the falls. I managed to make it through my first week of work at Old Faithful Upper General Store in the grocery section. My first day consisted of training provided by Human Resources. I had to take alcohol training again, as it has to be renewed every three years. I managed to pass the exam with a 90 percent and now I am able to serve alcohol to customers. Which is strange because working in the grocery section of the store, I don't serve any alcohol to anyone. I stock alcohol for the customers to buy, but I don't' server any. The rules state that I have to be certified because I handle alcohol. After the training was over I was released to head to the store and check in with Chanda the store manager. Chanda is a great manager, but this year she has taken on the responsibility of managing the upper and lower stores at the same time. I don't know how she keeps her sanity, but she does and she is always pleasant. It took me awhile to get to the store because the west entrance was backed up quite a bit with tourists trying to enter. I managed to get to the store and found out the construction affecting the dorms has taken most of the parking for those living in the dorm. I double parked and entered the store. Chanda checked me in and gave me my dorm key to room 11. I was happy that I had a room by myself, which they try to do for those who are above a certain age. My friend George was there and helped me unload my truck and get my stuff into the dorm. George is one of the best workers, and nicest person, I know. After getting the stuff unloaded I managed to find a close parking space to stash my truck. I proceeded to set up my room the way I like it. Now is a good time to tell you that Yellowstone is experiencing a heat spell that they have not seen in quite some time. It has not only been hot, but humid, and that is not normal for being eight thousand feet up. My room was very stuff and I would say about eighty five degrees. I brought two small fans and set them up first to see if I could get the temperature down. The dorms have recently been remodeled and have replaced all the furniture. The only problem is that they removed all the hooks to hang things and I had to buy some removable hangers from Walmart. I managed to get everything put up and headed to the store to find Ron, my grocery supervisor, and find out my schedule. Ron was happy to see me, as he indicated the grocery section could use the extra help. He told me my schedule would be 10:30AM to 6:30PM with a 30 minute lunch break. I was to start Tuesday and then have Wednesday off before being on my permanent schedule of having Tuesday and Wednesday off.
My work days were filled with placing items on the shelves and unloading the trucks when they came in. The hot and humid temperatures made the days very hard. One of the benefits of working in the grocery section is that I have to fill the drink cooler and it is a walk in. I really enjoyed getting in there and cooling off from the heat every once in a while. Not too much happened with the tourists this week, but we did have an unusual incident. The floor managers in the store all have walkies-talkies to communicate with the store and each other. Well it seems that a kid brought their own walkies-talkie into the store and it was on the same frequency. Theresa the main manager kept asking that who ever was using a walkies-talkie to please stop. It did not help and the kid kept broadcasting and everyone in the store kept hearing the kids squeals and laughter. Theresa was getting very upset and finally requested that all those who have walkies-talkies change to a different frequency. That helped, but I am sure Theresa would have liked to get her hands on the kid. I had many tourist come up to me and ask about where is the best place to eat. I let them know of their choices in the area. I have told people who ask me about visiting, to bring their own food in coolers before they get into the park. Mostly because the food in the park is expensive and sometime limiting selections. I also had a few tourists ask me when is the best time to visit the park, because they could not believe how packed the place was and how bad the traffic jams were. I always tell people that if you cannot visit the store before Memorial Day or after Labor Day, then I would seek some place else less crowded. Speaking of crowded, with the heat so bad the tourists were smelling quite ripe.
Not much else happened during my first week. My co-workers in grocery are Gary and Joey and Jack. They all work hard, which is very nice. But we all have our limitations. Gary has some health issues that prevent him from going up and down stairs well. Jack is 89 years old and needs help lifting heavy objects. I have two brand new knees and I cannot get down on the floor anymore. Joey and my boss Ron are both healthy and that is a god send. Ron always makes jokes about the class of helpers he gets, but I know deep down he appreciates us all. I would be remiss in not mentioning the employee dining room we eat three meals a day at. Is the food fantastic? Not always, but it has been pretty good. If I do not like a meal item I then turn to my back up peanut butter and jelly. They always have that available. I personally do not like any pasta dishes and they make that regularly because it is cheap and easy to make. I know they have a budget to deal with, so I can't complain on menu items.
That is it for week 1. The score so far at Yellowstone is fluffy cows, aka bison, 1 and tourists 0. I will update scores as they happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment