Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Yellowstone Adventure 2026 - Week 6

 I am here once again sitting in the historical Jackson Lake Lodge working on this blog. I think this week the lodge hosted the economic summit for our financial experts to discuss the best way forward as it pertains to interests rates and how President Trump is killing the economy. But that is enough politics I am sure you want to know how my week was. The kids are back in school and the store is presently in the slowdown business wise before Labor day. It is normal and the managers are prepared for it, as they have reduced everyone's hours and some reduced their days worked to compensate for the revenue decrease. My hours have been reduced, but I do not mind it at all, as I am not here to make money. With the decrease in families coming to the park, it seems that the majority of visitors are foreign and tour buses. I hear many languages in the store and when I have to communicate with them I find it very interesting.  The weather has turned somewhat cold and as my grocery manager Ron says, summer is over and fall has started.  I woke up the other morning to 30 degrees and rain. We are close in temperature, that we will probably get a smattering of snow soon. We also had a very intense thunderstorm this week. It poured for several hours with a lot of lightening and thunder. When you are 8,000 feet up, the lightening can be quite startling. I managed to sleep through most of it, as I think it lulled me to sleep.

  This whole week we have been dealing with a pine marten that has decided to make our grocery stock room his home. He has been sleeping in our stock shelves and helping himself to our stock. My boss Ron used to set a trap for them and then take them far away from the store and release them into the wild. For some reason he decided to leave this one alone. We, on the other hand, decided that the guy was eating too much and making too much of a mess. He started to eat the food that we use in the employee dining room, and that was the last straw. So we surrounded the guy and with brooms and we guided him out the door and into the back area. He ran away and we were hoping he would find another place to nest and feed. Unfortunately he knows how to get back into the store and the next day he was back in our shelves and eating our stock once again.  So we are leaving him alone for now. The only problem I have with that decision is when I reach into the shelves to get stock to put out on the floor and he is there, I get somewhat jumpy. He has not shown any aggression to us working in the shelves, but I know when cornered the guy is pretty much teeth and nastiness.  His picture is below and I would imagine you think he is cute.  Well that cuteness ends when you have to clean up his poop and the mess he makes when he decides to rip into a box of moon pies. 

  It is getting to the end of the season for some, as contracts are over. We have to say goodbye to several and that is hard sometimes as you make friends for just a short while.  My boss will be getting his surgery this week and I have been praying that he will come through with flying colors and be back to work in no time. He tells me he will be on a ten pound weight limit when he comes back, and we will try to make sure he follows those limits. He is a hard headed guy and we will have to keep an eye on him for sure. The good news for him is the workman's comp came through OK and will pay for the surgery and his pay while he is off. That takes a lot of worry off his shoulders for sure.

  I have not mentioned the remodeling of the dorm I am living in for a while. Yes it is still going on and we do not think it will be over before the store closes. The workers still have a lot to finish up, but from what I have heard they have a few items that already need fixing that were installed. For instance the other day when it was 30 degrees I turned on the heater installed in the bathroom.  The heater came on and then immediately emitted a terrible sound of fan blades banging inside the unit. I turned it off and reported it to our maintenance person. He told me it has never worked since the workers installed it and it is one of many things that will be reported to the construction manager, who I hear has not been around in quite some time. 

  I will end this blog with a rest in peace to my friend and fellow church member Kenny Fiscus, who passed away this week. I have been praying for Susan and the family ever since I have heard. I always enjoyed talking to Kenny and he will be greatly missed by so many in our church.

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment