Tuesday, January 31, 2023

It is tough to say good-bye

   Yesterday the family gathered at Evansville hospital to say good-bye to a very special man.  My father-in-law Don Elliott passed away after gracing this world with his presence for 95 years.  He grew up a farmer, which taught him not only hard work but how to fix just about anything.  He served in the Korean war, where he made it to the rank of sergeant by the higher up seeing how good a person he was.  He came back home after his hitch to his wife Norma.  He held many jobs during his life, but settled into working for the coal mines as a boss overseeing the blasting area.  He once said proudly that he has taken more years in retirement than he worked for the coal mine.  That is something to be proud of for sure.  His greatest accomplishment to me was how he led his family.  He led without being a dictator.  He was always available to listen to any problem from any family member and he would never give advice unless he was asked and then you knew the advice always had sound wisdom.  I am personally grateful for the fact that my two sons were so close and loved their Pappa Don so much.  Over the years they enjoyed being with him and listening to his stories of farm life, military life and just living in general for 95 plus years.  The biggest thing about Don for me is the fact that he accepted Christ as his Lord and savior a long time ago.  He always said it was a struggle to come to Jesus for him, but when God got a hold of him he went on to influence many around him.  He was a great example of a worker for Christ.  Was he totally perfect, No.  But he knew that God would forgive him and he marched on to lead so many to a relationship with Christ.  My fondest memories of him are when he was singing in the church choir with his two brothers.  He did not have the best voice in the world but he knew what making a joyful noise unto the Lord was all about.  I am sure now he is singing in heaven with his brothers and God is smiling at what a servant He received yesterday when we witnessed him taking his last breath.  Don I will miss you and I will always remember you as my second dad.  It will be tough on the family knowing that you wont be there anymore, but I pray we all will learn from the wisdom you left.  I love you Don and I will miss our talks.

No comments:

Post a Comment