Sunday, August 2, 2020

Wall Drug Adventure 2020 - Day 63

   Today I worked evening shift and nothing really happened that is blog worthy.  So I will be telling you about a friend of mine who just passed away.  One of the things about summer work that bothers me is when someone special in my life passes away while I am gone.  It happened with John Griggs and it happened today with my friend Harold Padgett.  Harold and his wife Irene attended our church for many years.  When I preached occasionally at our church Harold and Irene always went out of their way to tell me how well I did.  When I first started preaching it was kind words like that that really helped me along.  Several years ago I took over a Men's Breakfast Bible study on Saturdays.  It was a time for men to get together to have a nice breakfast and get into the word of God before starting their Saturday to-do lists.  Harold came to the Bible study for several years and I got to know him as a Christian brother and a friend.  After the Men's Breakfast ended its run some 12 years or so, I kept in touch with Harold and Irene.  Just making sure they were OK and a few times I took Harold to appointments with doctors.  During that time I was able to talk to him about his life and I found out we had golf in common.  I don't think Harold could have made it to 92 years old unless he played golf.  That walking exercise was what I think kept him young and he loved to play with the other seniors in the summer league.  Harold was a standup guy and loved the Lord and his wife so very much.  I always enjoyed our time together and though he never spoke up often during our Bible studies, when he did he showed a lot of wisdom.  I recently called Irene and chatted with her about Harold and her.  Harold could not hear very well over the phone as his hearing was really bad the last few years, but Irene would always relay my concerns about him and she always told me how happy she was that I would check on them.  I have been praying for them for several years and I know we cannot beat time, but there are times I wish I could be able to talk to Harold over a breakfast again.  He was a gentle man and I will miss him.  I will be praying for Irene and her family and I know I will stop and see her when I get home.  My heart breaks but I know where Harold is right now and I know he is made perfect through Jesus Christ.  Rest in Peace my friend.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/CFSV2/obituaries/photos/6622/619146/5f26e68e0f7ae.jpg
He was a Navy verteran
https://s3.amazonaws.com/CFSV2/obituaries/photos/6622/619146/5f26ead291724.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment