Monday, August 9, 2021

Yellowstone Adventure 2021 - Day 15 (Day Off)

   I tried to sleep in this morning but the trash truck decided I need to get up.  The trash containers are below my window and the truck has a loud buzzer warning it is backing up.  Then it's hydraulics pick up the huge trash container and bangs it several times in order to ensure it is empty. Then it slams the container on the ground and repeats the process for the next container.  So needless to say I was awake after that, so I got a shower and dressed and headed to breakfast.

   Today Bob and I were heading to West Yellowstone.  Bob to see the local clinic and the mountain man rendezvous. For me I was updating my computer and phone and talk to Cathy. We headed out about 9AM and it was only about 5 miles down the road that we ran into a buffalo road block.  He was walking down the road at a slow pace and was only 5 cars in front of my truck.  So for the next 35 minutes we traveled about 2 miles per hour. The tourist were all over the place trying to get pictures of this lone bison.  Some were exiting their vehicles to walk down the road to get a closer picture.  Which is in direct violation of rules in the park.  You are to stay 25 yards away from the bison at all times unless you can avoid it, such as traveling in a car directly behind one.  But you never exit a car and run up to one to get a picture.  These people are referred to as "Tourons", a cross between a tourist and a moron.

   We finally were able to pass the bison when he moved to the side of the road and we were on our way into West Yellowstone.  Bob did not have very much luck in the the clinic's medical facility's computer was down.  He also found out that the rendezvous ended Sunday.  So I let him out in town and told him I would meet up with him at the local book store.  I went to McDonald's and got my usual ice tea and then went to the IMAX parking lot so I could use the wifi from McDonald's.  I was able to get the phone and computer updated.  I also was able to talk to Cathy at length about how things were going at home with Janie and the grand-kids. It was sure nice to hear her voice and get updates that helped allay my worries a little.

   After talking to Cathy I roamed around the town looking at the tourist shops and such. I bought a T-Shirt and then went looking for Bob at the local bookstore.  I found Bob about noon and he said he would buy me lunch for my trouble today, so we headed to a local Chinese restaurant.  It was good but mostly the same taste as all the other Chinese places I have ate at.  We had a great conversation catching up on each other's lives and how the store operated last year when I was in Wall.  

  After lunch we walked around a little more and then gassed up the truck to head back into the park.  I told Bob I was going to stop at the Madison River after entering the park just to  get some walking in and relax by the river for a short while.  Below are picture of the river.  I was hoping to see some eagles fishing in the river as I have spotted them there previously.  They are a site to see for sure.  We saw an eagle earlier when exiting the park but there were none fishing today.

   After visiting the Madison River we headed further into the park and went into Firehole Canyon drive. ONe of my favorite places to get away and just sit and think.  It is very peaceful in the canyon and the water coming down the canyon makes a great noise.  See the videos below.  We finished up the canyon drive and headed back to the dorm.  Tomorrow I will be heading into Cody to see some old friends and to explore the east side of Yellowstone park.  Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the pictures and videos.

The Madison River

The Madison River


 
 
 
 
The Firehole River as it makes its way through the canyon
 
 
The Firehole River


No comments:

Post a Comment