Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Yellowstone Adventure - Day 35

  Today I got up early to get breakfast and head to the north east side of the park. I wanted to see Tower Falls. This is a waterfall into the Yellowstone river before it cuts into another canyon. I also wanted to see the general store that was there too. As it is a place that our company runs also.  The trip was pretty quick with no major roadblocks other than a family of bison blocking the road trying to get north to better grazing area.  I left around seven fifteen and arrived at Tower Falls around eight forty five. I pulled into the parking lot and looked over the general store that was there. I am grateful that I was not assigned there to work. The place is called Tower junction and not much traffic looks to stop there. Also there was no cell service at all in the area.  Without cell service and being able to talk to Cathy I doubt if I would stay. The store was much smaller than ours but the people were friendly. I left the store, not buying anything because I don't believe in high priced tourist baubles, and headed toward the falls. After walking down several feet I came to the overlook for the falls. It was a very pretty falls and quite loud also. There was another trail behind the overlook that would take you down a quarter mile to the river bottom. I decided my legs still had enough energy left in them from yesterday's walk so I headed down the trail. Like all downhills it was a set of switchback trails. After several switchbacks I found myself at the edge of the Yellowstone River. But I was very disappointed that I could not get to the falls from this trail. I tried several directions but could not find any path to the falls. Disappointed I just walked around the river's edge in hopes of seeing a bear. But the sign at the top of the trail warning that this was a grizzly area was pretty false today. I hung out for awhile at the river's edge looking at the fly fishermen before I convinced myself it was time for a quarter mile climb to the top. My legs held up but I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath as the climb was pretty tough. I got back in the car and headed for my next stop of a lookout on Mount Washburn. The highway climbed steadily in altitude for several miles as I approached the mount. There is a trail for the hikers who are in very good shape that takes them up to the top of the mount, but that was way over my league for sure. I finally reached the turnoff that would allow me to drive to the lookout that was probably a thousand feet shy of the top of the mount. It was a switchback gravel road and you really needed to keep the speed down as you went up. I reached the lookout and got out of the car. I noticed another trail that you could hike the other thousand feet up to a fire lookout. That still was not in the cards today but I promised myself that one day before I leave I will drive up here for a hike up to the lookout tower at the top. I took several pictures and videos of the views from the top and soaked in the peaceful feeling at the top. It was really pleasant up there. The strange thing is that I looked down to the path I was on and there was bison poop. It is remarkable how high those guys climb for good grass.
  I got back into my car and headed to Lamar valley where I would eat lunch. Lamar valley is a very big valley/meadow that is split in half by the Lamar river that runs through it and keeps the grass green. It is also a spot where fly fishermen try their luck.  On a side note the snow that was up in the mountains when I first arrived has dwindled down. There is still snow on the peaks but the majority of the peaks are almost bare. When I reached Lamar valley I was amazed at how many bison herds had already made it into the valley. I estimate there was around two thousand bison in the valley already. Passing the first two herds I decided to pullover around the third herd for lunch. I could look at the herd and the river at the same time. There were two guys fly fishing in the river in front of me and the majority of this herd was on the far side of the river. The herd had a lot of calves and it was enjoyable watching them play with each other. There was even prong horn antelope in among the herd and the calves seemed to enjoy chasing them around. While eating a big bison crossed the highway and went right by me towards the guys fishing in the river. The guys kept a wary eye on the bison as it approached them. It veered off from them and went into a wooded area near them to eat.  Lunch was great because the view added a lot. Can't beat peanut butter and jelly watching bisons.
  After lunch I decided to head out the northeast entrance and head to Cody to get the car washed and update the cell phone. Instead of heading over the Beartooth range I turned onto the Chief Joseph memorial highway. This takes you over the mountains but a more gentle drive and not as high as the Beartooth. The highway was named in honor of chief Joseph and the band of Indians who tried to escape to Canada while being chased by the US Calvary. If you don't know this story I would suggest you read up on it as it is pretty sad. The views from on top of the pass was pretty great and the road to Cody was very nice. 
  I am getting really familiar with Cody and I like the town. I got my cell phone updated and uploaded some videos to Facebook at the local McDonalds. I found a great car wash and got a lot of trail dust and bugs removed from the car. I am sure Cathy would appreciate it as it is her car.  Cody is in full tourist mode and they finally got the highway work finished. I headed back into the park and through the east park entrance and headed back to the dorm for dinner.
  Tonight at dinner the boss handed out free socks made by the Pendleton company that makes the blankets we sell. I picked up two more free ones for Jacob and Logan. They have some freaky colors which may be why they gave them to us for free. :) 
  Just to keep you updated on our company and the staffing at the Old Faithful General Store.  We got some new workers in this week.  I still do not have a roommate and I like that for sure.  We are still short handed in the fountain where food is prepared for tourists and it is the fountain personnel who run the ice cream stand in the store.  So far no one has quit lately, which is good, but some are getting tired of long hours in the fountain.  I think we may have some more workers coming in next week but I am not for sure.  The other contractor at Yellowstone just lost an employee for dealing drugs and from what I gather had several quit lately or were fired.  I am glad I did not apply for Xantera for a summer job for sure.  I don't hear too many positives about that group.
  Well that is all for today and I start night shift work tomorrow. So I get to sleep in. Yeah!  Thanks for reading and stay well. 

1 comment:

  1. Great posts! Very interesting trying to picture all of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete