Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Yellowstone Adventure 2021 - Day 64 (Day Off)

  I looked over the weather forecast and what the sky looked like and decided to head to Idaho Falls to see the new James Bond movie.  The weather forecast was predicting a snow storm coming in but they could not decide on whether or not it would be rain and snow or snow.  I took off at 8 and got into Idaho Falls in time to get lunch at panda garden and then hit the book store to get some more reading material.  I made the 12:30 showing of James Bond.  It was raining in Idaho Falls but the temperature was around 40 degrees, so I thought if it dropped very much then I would get snow on the way back up to the 8,000 foot elevation.  I watched the movie, which I give it an A rating, then I hopped into the truck and made a beeline for West Yellowstone.  The rain was still there but the closer I got to the park the more it started to turn into snow.  I did not have any issues with the road until I got to within 20 miles of West Yellowstone, then I decided to go about 20 MPH lower than the speed limit.  I passed a truck that swerved off the road and flipped over.  A tow truck was trying to get it back on its good side when I passed.  A few miles down the road I came to a car that was also flipped over and a tow truck and another truck were cabling it trying to get it upright.  I got to West Yellowstone around 5:30 and the snow was coming down pretty heavy and I decided to stop at the McDonald's to use the restroom and to put the truck into 4 wheel drive.  I then approached the gates of Yellowstone and found that they were closed.  I called the store and ask what I should do and Mary asked around and said I should stay there and wait it out until tomorrow.  I told her that is ridiculous and then I went back to the gate and found someone and ask them what can I do as I work in the park.  He said "Oh well I will move the pylons and you can just head in, but take it slow."  So I proceeded into the park and kept my speed at around 25 to 30 MPH all the way back to the dorm.  A 45 minute drive took me over and hour and 15 minutes.  I stopped twice to clean off my windshield of the slush and ice that built up.  I made it back to the dorm with no issues and I thank God for it as I prayed a few times along the way.  I passed a car that was off the road, but had other cars around it so I continued on.  I also passed, coming the other direction, several campers who were trying to get out of the park.  I wished them luck.  The interesting thing is that with the whiteness of the snow I figured I would see a lot of animals around but did not see a one.  I made it back to the dorm and Mark and Mary were happy to see that I made it unscathed. It was white knuckle time a few times but it was not an unpleasant drive.  I also seemed to help a couple of other cars that were following in my tracks back to the geyser area.  Enjoy the pictures of the snow. 


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment