Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Yellowstone Adventure - Day 77

  Today I decided to go see Shoshone lake. My plans changed on my hike direction after I was reading my book on day hikes in Yellowstone. I was intrigued to read that Shoshone lake is the largest fresh water lake in the lower 48 states not accessible by any road. You can only get to it by hiking. The trail to it is called the DeLacy trail, not any relation to our Dee Lacy.
  So after breakfast and a visit to Bob to get some bear spray, I headed down the road to the parking area where you begin hiking the DeLacy trail. I got there around eight in the morning and noticed there was already four cars parked there. My first thoughts were that this does not bode well to see animals on the trail if there are already that many hikers on the trail. I filled up my backpack with water and attached the bear spray to my pack and headed down the trail. As usual the first thing I see on the trail is the sign warning me that this is bear country and to not hike alone. I say a prayer for protection and head into the woods. The trek to the lake and back should be no more that six miles. I plan on walking around the lake some when I get there so this hike should be no more than eight miles total and the guide book said it was a moderate hike. In that it was not an easy trail but not a hard one either. Which meant it had some ups and downs to deal with.
  The first part of the hike was into the woods and about a quarter mile in I met three hikers coming my way. I asked them how they were doing and they told me they just got done camping at the lake overnight. So that could be the reason for all the cars I thought. Some people could be doing an overnight camp. They also told me they did not see any animals on their hike, which I did not like to hear. I bid them good day and headed farther into the woods. The wind was blowing pretty well when I started the hike and the lodge pole pine trees were really making some interesting sounds in the woods. When the wind blows they crack and creak and when they run together they do a lot of squealing too. Kind of makes you jump when you are just walking in a quiet woods. The temperature was also great for the walk in the it was around sixty degrees. The trail follows DeLacy Creek until it empties into Shoshone Lake. After about a mile I exited out of the woods and into a very nice meadow. I stopped and looked around but did not spot any animals close or far away. After another mile I came over a rise and saw the lake in the distance. The trail entered back into the woods and soon it opened back up on the lake. The wind was really kicking up the waves on the lake. The place was very peaceful and very pretty. According to the hike book the lake is about 13 miles around and takes up to 8050 acres. The deepest part is around two hundred feet. I walked around for awhile and found where the DeLacy Creek empties into the lake. Not too far from there I spotted a log on the beach or what they call a beach on a lake, and proceeded unload my backpack and walking stick and to just sit on the beach with my back to the log. My legs were happy for the rest. I cannot describe the peaceful feeling of just sitting there and listening to the waves lap on to the shore. Not a soul was in view around me and I could see no activity on the other side of the lake. I put someone sunscreen on and just sat there resting and talking to God. God and I have plenty of talks on my hikes and on my breaks. I start off thanking him for the great day and the peaceful resting place and just to talk to him about other things on my mind. From friends who are sick to family at home to the state of America. The talks suree do ease my mind. I found it very hard to get up from that great spot but I knew I had to hike back some time. I looked at my watch and it indicated that I was testing there for almost an hour. Time sure flies when you have peace and quiet.  I got up and put my backpack back on and grabbed my walking stick. About that time another hiker came up and he was heading to a small adjoining lake to try his hand at fishing. I guess Shoshone lake and this other small lake has some great fish in it. I would imaging they should if the place is not accessible by a car. So there can't be too many people fishing in it to take all the good fish out.
  I walked around some more and then picked up the trail back to my car. I kept my ears and eyes open for animals but I met too many hikers coming from the opposite direction that said nothing was seen. Oh well maybe on my next hike I will get some pictures of some of Yellowstone's animals.
  I got back to my car around lunch time and decided to head for Yellowstone lake to eat my PB&J.
   After lunch I decided I wanted to get a look at the fancy Jackson Lake Lodge in the Tetons and because the Cubs were playing on Sirius XM, I did not mind the two hour drive down into the Tetons. Traffic was fairly light heading south as most of the tourists were coming into the park and not leaving it. I exited Yellowstone and entered the Teton National Park and in no time I was turning into the lodges parking area. Right off I knew that this was a fancy place as they had guys who would help you out of your car and park your car for you. I walked past one of the guys and said hello to him. I entered the lobby of the lodge and it was pretty fancy. Stone floors, fancy chandeliers, all employees dressed up and a two story set of Windows that ran the length of the customer sitting room facing the Teton mountains.
  I plopped myself in one of their fine chairs that faced the window and the view and proceeded to work on this blog. After a short while a gentleman sat down next to me and struck up a conversation. Seems he was a farmer with 600 acres of land on the other side of the Tetons in Idaho. He now rents out his land as at seventy he needed to slow down some. He was a teacher of English as well as a farmer but he said he loved coaching football best of all. A very nice man and was very intrigued on what I was doing this summer. He asked a ton of questions on how the temporary workers are handled and who pays us. It was not long before his wife and daughter came to get him going to eat an early dinner. They were a nice family. After a bit I approached a shop next to the sitting area and inquired about getting a Pepsi to drink. The young lady said they had twelve once cans of Pepsi to sell and I said that would be fine. She produced one and then told me that would be $2.92.  I told her that I could not live with myself if I paid that much for a can of Pepsi. She smiled and laughed and replied in a low voice "Me neither." I told I was sorry for taking up her time and wished her a great day. I found a water fountain and quenched my thirst. Out of curiosity, and before I left, I inquired how much a room would be a night.  Around $300.00 per night. Oh the closer you get to Jackson Hole the more money that is spent. I can see why presidents choose to stay here versus Yellowstone lodging but as a tax payer I want them camping around a fire on Shoshone lake.
  Well the trip back to the dorm was uneventful except that the Cubs scored 3 runs in the bottom of the ninth to sweep the Marlins out of Chicago.  Tomorrow I will be back at it in the store on late shift. You all take care and be well.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had a good two days off. Dee (Lacy) should get a kick out of the name of the creek (DeLacy).

    ReplyDelete