Monday, August 8, 2016

Yellowstone Adventure - Day 81

   Church day today and boy was it cold and rainy. The services were outdoors but under roof. Which was nice. Also the Old Faithful Inn has the fireplace going full blast. Seating around the fireplace were at a premium for sure. I attended services with Jack today and the kids did a great job with the services. Afterward Jack and I got a seat on the second floor overlooking the lobby. We had great discussions about Moses and Abraham and about life in Yellowstone. I sure do appreciate having Jack around during this adventure. He is a wise man and has some great wisdom on how to deal with being a temporary worker.
  After church I headed back to the dorm to read and to wait for my late shift to start. I skipped lunch because I had a big breakfast before church. I clocked in and headed to get my til. Because of the rain I was prepared for what I was heading into. Rain brings fifty percent customers and fifty percent people just standing around getting dry. It is a mad house for sure and I try to get everyone coming to my station to smile as tensions and stress really mount when tourists are uncomfortable about the rain. 
   Mostly all of the locals are welcoming the rain as the place is very dry and several fires have started around us. Not close but worrisome for the people living in the area as a small fire can spread quickly. A co-worker of mine named Robert climbed up Electric Mountain yesterday and said he saw a fire start and spread quickly from his vantage point on the mountain. This is the five hundred acre fire north of Mammoth Hot Springs and close to Gardiner Montana. He also said that there is a box up on top of the mountain containing the ashes of someone who wanted them placed there. Interesting place in that as the name suggests it is a lightening rod of a mountain as the iron in the rock attracts a lot of lightening.
  The first part of the shift went fast and had some pretty enjoyable conversations with some folks, but my legs were ready for a break and a nap.
   After dinner in the EDR I headed back into the store.  Business was pretty light and the sun came out. So I suppose all the tourists headed out to the park while the weather was nice. Not much happened on the shift until we were closing. Robert is the shift supervisor and while we are all in the counting room going over our tils he goes around the store to shut the lights off and lock all the doors. He said when he headed through the fountain area the door separating the fountain from the basement entrance was swinging like someone went through the area. He went through the still swinging door and found no one at all around. He checked other areas and still no one could be found who set the door swinging. He came back and told us that he felt that he seen his first ghost or at least what the ghost did. I felt he was pretty serious about what he saw so I will leave it to you as to what he saw. I feel that if there are ghosts anywhere here that it would be in the dorm as people have actually died in the dorm rooms.
  Well that is about all and now I switch to day shift but the good news is it is my Friday. Yeah!  Take care you all and be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment