Friday, June 12, 2020

Wall Drug Adventure 2020 - Day 12 (Day Off)

  Was able to sleep in a little today.  After breakfast I decided to gather up the laundry and get that done.  I found out last week that Friday is better to do laundry than Saturday.  As Saturday is pretty busy.  Sure enough when I get there at 8:45 the place is empty and I was able to get the laundry done fairly quickly after using $4 worth of quarters.
  After getting the laundry taken back to the trailer I headed down the road. My co-worker Emily said that if I wanted to see the Cheyenne River up close I was to just go to exit 101 and take the dirt road north.  Using these directions I was able to easily find the bridge location where she said she was baptized at.  The pictures below are from the river location. Emily said that the river sometimes is flowing fast and deep, at least until very warm weather happens.  I think the river is used by a lot of farmers around here for irrigation of their crops and watering the cattle. I was hoping to be able to walk around the river a little and get some exercise, but I failed to count on the biting flies.  They were rather aggressive and intense.  So needless to say, I took a few pictures and retreated back to the truck.  I headed down the road that was paralleling the river and was surprised that the road headed right into Wasta, which I visited the other day.  I was driving through the town of Wasta when a deer decided to cross the main street.  It took its time as if it did not have a care in the world.




   Leaving Wasta I decided to check out the Air and Space Museum in Elsworth Air Force Base in the town of Box Elder.  Arriving I found the museum gates open, as the museum is just outside the main gate to the airbase.  But was not happy to see that visitors could not enter the museum building do to the virus.  The outside displays were available for viewing though and I walked around exploring the various jets, planes, missiles, etc..  The pictures below are what I saw.  My two favorite displays were the B1-B stealth bomber and the B52 bomber.  The size of these aircraft was amazing and getting to walk around and under them was a real treat.  I hope you enjoy the pictures below.  After leaving the museum I headed into Rapid City to visit an Antique store and to eat lunch at KFC.  I will probably take a walk around Wall for exercise tonight, but not during the day as it is 92 degrees today.  That is a little to warm for me to want to be walking around.  I hope all who are reading this are well and thanks for looking.


B52 Bomber
B1B Bomber

No comments:

Post a Comment