Saturday, June 6, 2020

Wall Drug Adventure 2020 - Day 6 (Day Off)

   Well today was laundry day.  After breakfast I drove over to the laundromat next to the Ace Hardware store.  It cost me $2 to wash the clothes and $1.25 to dry them and I was only doing whites. So I guess if there is a con to working here versus Yellowstone, its that doing laundry will cost me a little of my check before I leave.  The laundry at Yellowstone was free in the dorms. 
   After getting the clothes done I decided to head to the next town over.  The town is called Wasta and it probably was a very busy town in it's heyday, but time has taken its toll.  The bright spot of the town is a 24 hour gas station that has gas 20 cents cheaper than Wall.  After getting gas I decided to drive through what was left of the town.  The only other working business was a bar.  There sign declared "If your going to drink all day, then you need to start after breakfast."  The town had a small Methodist church where a man was mowing the yard.  There were several houses and several shells of houses. I would guess the population of the town was around 50.  The town also had an automated campground. Basically you drove up to a gate and paid.  The gate will raise and you pick an open spot to put your camper. I only saw two campers in the area. 
   I decided to leave Wasta and head into the area off the interstate.  The pictures and video below are from my little excursion.  I know there are those that don't like wide open spaces, but there is something appealing about standing and looking off into the wide open.  As I have said before the wind never seems to stop blowing here.  Also the humidity is very low.  So when I walk around here I make sure I have plenty of water as the wind dries you out very quickly.  A funny story that Rick Hustead, the owner of Wall Drug, told us.  Is when his Dad left Wall to go to school he had many comment on the fact that he said he came from Wall South Dakota.  They would say, "Oh the place that gives free ice water and donuts." After awhile his Dad would just say he was from Wasta when people asked him where he was from.
   After my excursion into the interior I went back and had lunch in the trailer.  After lunch I walked around Wall for some exercise.  I passed the Wall rodeo area and they were packed as there was a rodeo going on today.  It looked like many age groups were competing, as I saw men and women and kids on horseback.  They all looked like great riders.  I will have to find out when they have their rodeos and attend one or two before I leave.
   Not much left for today.  I got my schedule for next week and I get moved to day shift, yeah!  So my schedule for next week is 8:30AM to 5PM, except Monday when I agreed to switch with my boss Pauline and take her night shift.  Take care you all and stay safe.




1 comment: