Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Wall Drug Adventure 2020 - Day 17

   Before I get into today's stuff I forgot to mention yesterday a member of the office staff came to me and handed me paperwork on Wall Drug's 401K plan for employees.  I was surprised that one they had a 401K and two that you only had to be an employee for a year to get into the program.  It is not a bad program in that they will match 100 percent of your first 900 dollars and 50 percent match of your next 600 dollars.  SO if you put in 1500 dollars a month then they will put in 1200 dollars.  I don't think that is too bad.  They just handed me the paperwork that describes the contribution and eligibility, so I don't know anything about who runs the program and how well it has been doing for employees.  But like I said not a bad thing to have a 401K program available as an incentive to get people to work here full time.

   Well work today was pretty good and fairly busy.  Busier than yesterday for sure.  I think the hot temperatures slowed people down yesterday.  It was 15 degrees cooler today and very nice for business.  Talking to Pauline I found out that one of the very good sources of income for the store will be severely drawn down.  That is tour buses.  Wall Drug gets a lot of tour buses full of tourists come through several times a summer.  The tourists usually stay at a local hotel and then spend the day at Wall Drug and the badlands.  She told me that many tour buses have cancelled their tours this year.  Some will be there this summer but most wont be.  This is another hit to the local economy.  Very sad.
   Yesterday we had a family come into the store with a child who clearly needed watched.  It seems that the child decided she wanted a purse and pulled one of the shelves.  Then proceeded to walk around the store with her parents, all the while grabbing items off shelves and putting them into the purse.  When they got to the cash register their parents finally noticed the stuff purse and told her now she would not be getting anything she took.  They paid for the things they wanted and left, with a very unhappy child.  The cashier then began to dump the items out of the purse to get them put back on the shelves.  The parents were unaware that their child decided the first thing to add to the purse was the child's own toy, a My Little Pony.  So after the items were returned we placed the My Little Pony aside and waited for the parents to return.  After the whole day went by the parents evidently were down the road many miles and must have decided it was not worth it to come back for the toy.  So I put the toy aside and moved it around our station several time.  Posing it on the counter and facing the customers.  So today the toy was behind me at my cash register station sitting on a metal bar.  This afternoon a family came in that had a little girl.  The little girl was not having a good day.  Her Mom said it was because she had been in her seat most of the day while they traveled.  I looked down at her and saw her looking past me at the My Little Pony.  I reached for it and ask her if she would like to have the toy.  Her face just started beaming and she shook her head yes.  I gave it to her.  Her Mom and Dad thanked me several times.  Later today they came through again searching for some cowboy boots.  The Dad came back to my station and thanked me again for the toy, as her daughter had not stopped holding it.  I told him that was OK and I am glad I improved her vacation outlook for awhile. A nice feeling for today.
   Today's Dog-For-The-Day pictures are below.  I hope this blog finds you all well.  Take care and stay well.

Another backpacked dog.  Such pampered pets.

I don't condone hats on dogs, but I do sell the hats.  Does that make me a bad person? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment