Monday, June 22, 2020

Wall Drug Adventure 2020 - Day 22

  I did not like getting up early.  :) But some of us have to make a living. :) After a breakfast of biscuits and gravy (YES!) I headed into open the store at 8:30AM.  At 8:30 the store is not really busy, so I usually spend the time putting all the belts back in order and getting moccasins down from the high storage to fill in gaps on the shelves.  Also when no one is around it is a good time to use the spray disinfectant on all the surfaces and the seats and the cash register.  So far no employee has shown any signs of being sick.  Believe me if one employee gets sick, we will know if very quickly.
  About middle of the morning I was at the register and I guy walked by and I did a double take reading the back of his shirt.  I could not believe it when I saw the shirt advertising "Knepp Trucking Odon Indiana."  I just had to talk to the guy.  I stopped him and asked him if he was from Odon and he said yes.  I told him I was from Linton and he just laughed at this being a small world.  He said he drives his truck through Linton all the time.  He asked what I was doing working in Wall Drug and I told him.  I asked him where he and his family were headed and he said ultimately Glacier Park in Montana.  I told him I have been there several times and he and his family will have a great time in that beautiful place.  I bid them goodbye and wished them safe travel.
  Not too long after that an elderly man came in with a distinctly Mennonite look.  I could not resist asking him where he was from and he said he was from Elkhart Indiana.  We talked for awhile and he asked me several questions about areas around Rapid City.  He was very nice.
   I was not done seeing Indiana folks because Gina brought over a man and his wife that were from Goshen Indiana.  She said he said he wanted to see me when she told him I was from a small Indiana town.  He knew where Linton was and we talked for a time about traveling west.  It was sure nice to see some fellow Hoosiers today.
  The only odd thing that happened today was in Gina's department.  There was a man and his wife that came through my area.  The man looked very normal for a person of about mid fifties I would guess, but his wife was dressed rather brightly colored.  Sort of reminded me of Joseph and his technicolor coat.  She was rather loud in her appearance.  She had a dress on that was a combination of orange and yellow and came about knee high.  I just shrugged when they came through as I have seen many oddly dressed people.  But Gina got to see more than she bargained for.  It seems the lady was in Gina's area and wanted to see something on the bottom of a shelf.  Gina said she bent over to grab something and (Gina's words) she had nothing on under the dress.  I told Gina thank goodness that happened in her area.  Very disturbing and Gina was glad there was no one else in her area at the time. 
  One of the things I think God is teaching me while here is patience.  You see I think God put me in moccasins because he felt I needed to work on my patience, as well as serving others.  It is a real struggle to be patient with a person who wants to try on many shoes that obviously are too small for their feet or who can't make up their mind on what shoe type to buy.  You definitely have to be patient selling shoes.  I have to work on this every day and to keep from screaming the phrase "For Pete sake make up your mind!"  I think God is telling me this as every day I leave work I smile on how I managed to make it through and still like customers.  God seems to always have tests for us to pass/fail.  We just need to keep an eye open and remember Jesus loves everyone.  No matter how many shoes they want to try one.  :)
   One more thing before I close and eat some dinner.  Please say a prayer for me as I want to try to reach a fellow co-worker for Jesus.  I think God is calling me to say something to them.  I just need the Holy Spirit's guidance to know the right time.  Thanks for reading and stay well.

  p.s. The Dog-for-the-Day shots are below.


Part St. Bernard and part yellow lab.  Very nice and well behaved dog.

Could not get him to stand still but a very nice mix of everything dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment