Monday, June 29, 2020

Wall Drug Adventure 2020 - Day 29

   Got to sleep in late today and I really enjoyed that.  After the heat broke last night it rained buckets and thundered quite a bit.  But I still slept pretty good.  I had a visitor today.  It seems that HR never informed me that the bug exterminator guy was coming by today.  I let him in and he did his spraying and there was another guy spraying around the outside of the trailer.  The guy said that with all the staff cuts he was not surprised that no one told me.  I agreed with him and we talked for awhile about how the town was very happy to have Wall Drug open again.  He said he felt that the town turned into a ghost town for the two months the store was closed.  He said he could never remember seeing such and empty main street in all his life.  He told me that the store only shuts down 4 days a year.
   After he left I got ready for work and headed out to walk in the heat.  Today it was supposed to get to 99 degrees but I think it only made it to 95.  After clocking in at work I immediately went to HR and had my W-4 adjusted to take out an extra 75 dollars of federal taxes out of my paycheck every payday.  They again never took any federal taxes out and I did not know why.  So I am hoping the paperwork will straighten things out some.
  I don't know if it was the heat or just long drives in a car, but today was the worst Kid-Throwing-Fit day I have had since working.  I mean there were a couple of real tantrums being thrown today and parents who cannot discipline worth a hoot.  One kid was throwing a fit in the hallway outside our stores and it seems every worker in their store was sticking their head out to find out what was going on.  The kid kept screaming and stomping and yelling at his father.  Who did not do a thing to stop the kid from putting on a pretty disgusting show.  Several of my co-workers wanted to volunteer to kick the kid in the butt all the way down the hall and I wanted to do the same for the Dad who did not seem to have the guts to discipline the kid.  Several times today kids were throwing tantrums and screaming and yelling. 
   I was able to talk to a guy who was wearing a Guam t-shirt.  We got to talk about the island and I told him how me and my family lived on the island for 2 years when I was a kid.  We talked about the island and how it has changed over the years.  Nice to relive some childhood memories.
  Today was a pretty active day in that we got 20 boxes of moccasins to inventory and price and put on the shelf.  The picture below shows you how cramped our store is and when you get that many boxes in it really becomes congested.  Like I said before Wall Drug has the worst inventory system going and when you have to do the whole process in the store in the middle of tourist season, it is pretty evident that their system is archaic.
   Putting up 244 boxes of moccasins takes a lot of time and Pauline has some work to do tomorrow trying to figure out where we will store some of it.  As we got in new stock and don't have the shelf space for them yet as well as storage space.  I think Pauline and I will be fairly busy tomorrow getting the store straightened out, but she is a pro at this and I am sure she will have a plan on how we can get all 244 boxes stored.
  Well that is about all for today.  Hot dog and beans for dinner.  Living the life. :)  Take care all and stay safe and well.
Dog of the Day, a cute little girl who was 11 years old and I would guess weighed no more that 3 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment