Thursday, July 2, 2020

Wall Drug Adventure 2020 - Day 32

   TGIF.  I made it to the end of my work week.  The only hitch was yesterday I tweaked my back and by the end of the work day it was a full blown back ache.  I went to the drug store.  Did you know Wall Drug has a drug store? :) I got some Aleve and took two before I left work.  Yesterday after work and dinner I laid on the floor and did some stretching to try to chiropractor myself.  I woke up today and my back was still giving me issues.  I did some stretching and more laying on the floor, but it still did not help.  I took more Aleve before my walk to work, but I still I had issues walking totally upright.  I got to work and started OK, but I asked Pauline what I needed to do if I could not make it all day.  She said just call a manager and they will come over and relieve me.  The good news is I made it all day and only had to take one more Aleve, but I am wary of it really seizing up if I twist it wrong.  Will be taking it easy on my days off to get it back on track.  Speaking of managers, Stephanie and I were talking at work about the managers at Wall Drug.  She asked if I have ever seen one in our departments since I have been here and I told her no. She said it was interesting that our department is pretty much on auto pilot when it comes to supervision.  We arrive on time, we take our breaks on time, we lock up the money properly and we lock up the store properly.  She said this is a strange arrangement compared to other places she has worked.  I told her it was completely different than Yellowstone.  At Yellowstone the managers/supervisors were constantly around and overseeing everything.  I guess that is one pro mark on Wall Drug, not being micro-managed.
   Today I had one of those small world situations.  A man and his daughter came through and he had a t-shirt that advertised something in Indianapolis.  I asked him if he was from Indiana and he said yes just south of Indianapolis.  I told him I was from a town south of Terre Haute called Linton.  He laughed and said his wife grew up in Linton.  He called her over and told her I was from Linton.  I asked her her maiden name and she said it was Ashley Bishop.  She was Ted Bishop's daughter.  I laughed and told her that me and my brothers had a run in once or twice with Ted at the golf course for not playing fast enough.  She laughed and said that sounded like her Dad.  We talked for awhile and I bid them safe travels.  It is a mighty small world for sure.
  I was able to talk to another man today who knew about Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center.  He was a retired Navy Fire Chief and now works as a contractor out of NSWC Dahlgren.  He was familiar with Crane and familiar with my rate in the Navy.  I was a Crytologic Technician CT and he said on one of his ships they had quite a few CT's.  We talked about Navy times and post Navy for awhile.  It was good to talk with someone who understood the work I did for the Navy, both active and as a civilian.
   That is about all for today.  Take care and say a prayer for my back.  Stay safe.
Dogs of the Day

Dogs of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment