Friday, July 31, 2020

Wall Drug Adventure 2020 - Day 61 (Day Off)

   Nothing exciting today.  First day off means laundry and grocery shopping in Rapid City.  I have been looking around for a local barber to get a trim, but have not found one open without taking reservations.  I am trying to count how many potential meals I have left in the fridge so that I don't have any food hanging around when I leave in two weeks.  I can take some dry goods with me, but I want to make sure I eat all I have stocked and then maybe on the last few days I will eat at Wall Drug using my worker discount.  I picked up a couple of steaks from the local meat market and that should do me until for the rest of my stay.  I got my laundry done and headed to Rapid City.  I wanted to check in with Best Buy in Rapid to see about a new cell phone for Cathy and I. Wanting to get a new 5G unlocked phone and looking at Samsung.  It seems the new trend is to make the phones bigger.  Cathy is OK with that but I really don't want a bigger phone as I put mine in my pocket and I don't need it sticking out.  I want to get a 5G phone so we are at least positioned to use the new technology when it becomes available in Linton and elsewhere.
   After looking over Best Buy I decided to check out the Rapid City mall.  It was generally what I expected of a mall nowadays.  As there were very few people, but we were all wearing masks, and there were several stores closed.  The mall was doing what our mall in Terre Haute is trying and that is bringing in new type stores to fill the space of those anchor stores that left.  The had an antique place and flea market place and a nostalgic toy place. It was fairly interesting to walk around and I did get plenty of steps in while there.  I don't know what malls will be doing in the future as those big stores are leaving in droves it seems.  So the mall of the future will have to figure out something else for the space they have need to rent out.  I am sure there will be some out of the box thinking to get people to come to malls in the future. 
   I hope to get a walk in around Wall tonight, but we are expecting rain later.  We will see as rain comes and goes here fairly quickly.  On my drive to and from Rapid City I did notice that the fields of sunflowers are starting to come up.  When those fields mature the yellow flowers make for some very pretty things to look at in the ever large expanse of land around here.  So much yellow it makes your eyes hurt.  It is also interesting how the flowers follow the sun.  They are facing you on one drive and then later that day they are facing the other way.  Ain't nature interesting.
   Well that is about all for today.  Tomorrow I think I will head into Pierre and do a 5 mile hike along the Missouri river for some exercise.  Take care and stay safe.

The Beautiful Sunflower Fields Are Hiding In South Dakota

No comments:

Post a Comment