Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Wall Drug Adventure 2020 - Day 38

  Today I woke up with only a minor back pain and that was good.  I was able to sleep better.  Let me tell you about last night.  It was a hot day and like all hot days here at Wall, it is soon followed by a cool down.  Sure enough the weather started to turn stormy quickly.  The trailer I am in is not exactly sound proof and I started to hear the wind pick up.  I had just finished dinner and was watching Jay Leno's garage on YouTube when my phone's weather warning went off.  I looked at the message and saw this:

National Weather Service: TORNADO WARNING in this area until 7:30 MDT. Take shelter now in a basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy building.  If you are in a mobile home move to the closest substantial shelter and protect yourself from flying debris.

  So here I am in a trailer and no place to go.  The trailer then got shook very hard as  a huge wind gust hit it.  After that I was getting a little worried.  Wall Drug never mentioned a policy for tornadoes and where to go.  So I was just going to have to ride it out and see what happened.  Fortunately the wind and sideways rain was all that happened and around 8PM it all subsided.  I called Cathy and video chatted with her.  Showing her the wind and the rain outside.  She was a little worried for me for awhile.  Since I have no way to get local news in the trailer, I had to wait until I went to work to find out what happened.  After breakfast I left to walk to work and I could see the wind kicked up a lot of limbs and such around my neighborhood, but the day was cool and breezy for walking into work.  When I got to work I talked to Gina and asked her about the warning.  She said a tornado was spotted 5 miles from Wall but did not touch ground.  I then asked her what the policy was for those living in the trailers.  She said we were to go to the Methodist church when we get a warning like last night, but she said the church was not open last night.  So gathering at the church would not have helped at all, other than getting myself very wet.  She felt that Wall Drug will probably be issuing a tornado policy reminder this week.  I said that would be nice.  When the warning went off the store had their workers close up their individual stores and told everyone to gather in the Cafe.  Which is the inner most part of the store. She said it was exciting for a while for sure.  I am just glad that God sent the tornado down the road.
   Not too much happened at work today.  I did wait on a woman who set the record for looking at shoes.  She took 35 minutes to make up her mind that moccasins were not going to work with her feet.  Patience young Jedi, patience.  Pauline and I put up a lot of belts, buckles and flip flops.  Which made the day go by faster for sure.  I did get to talk to a man and woman from Anderson Indiana.  The woman said her family would regularly camp at Shakamak when she was little.  I also like to pick on people wearing St. Louis Cardinal t-shirts.  As a Cub fan I can't let them go by without mentioning that Wall Drug sells t-shirts to replace the ugly one they were wearing.  They immediately know I am a Cub fan and we get a good laugh out of it.  But today I told a guy this and he said he had to buy one as his son was just drafted this year into the Cardinals organization.  I told him congratulations and that is a very neat thing.  He said that he was given a signing bonus and they were still paying him even though there is no minor league season this year.  I wished him well but not exactly the whole Cardinals organization. 
  That is just about all for today and I hope that tonight's weather is a lot quieter.   Enjoy the pet photos.  Stay well and be well.

My first bird as a pet roaming Wall Drug

I miss our golden retrievers

No comments:

Post a Comment