Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Yellowstone Adventure - Day 48

  Took a look at the weather report and decided that it would be a great day for a hike. The highs were in the low seventies and a breeze was blowing. I skipped Mary mountain trail and decided to drive further north into a higher elevation and hike the Bighorn and Indian Creek trails. They were both loops or were supposed to be loops. I did the two mile Indian Creek loop first because I wanted to see if any animals could be found near the water. I only saw a doe but plenty of fly fishermen doing their best to convince some fish to take the bait. I asked several if they had any luck but not one said the fishing was good.  After the Indian Creek loop I decided to tackle the Bighorn loop. It was listed as eight miles and I thought that was a good distance so that I could eat lunch on the trail. I set out on the trail and several yards in was a sign board that indicated this was bear area and hike in a group and make noise while walking. I was not too worried about the hiking alone part and I borrowed bear spray from the store. As for making noise that was no problem at all. The trail led into a forest past the campgrounds and I proceeded on. I had a backpack with plenty of water, my lunch, my walking stick, a knife, applied bug spray and bear spray hanging from my belt. The walk was pretty level, which is why I picked the trail. Several trails are rated for their climbs. So you can know what to expect when you take a trail. After about a mile I cleared the forest and saw the mountains I would be approaching. The Indian Creek appeared on my right and I could hear it running strong. The wind was blowing pretty good and that kept the mosquitos off me, which was good. The trail is clearly marked by the park rangers and fairly clear to walk on. Except for the occasional bison dropping which I dodged expertly. The views were great but I was disappointed that no wildlife was around. I wasn't making that much noise! After awhile I thought maybe if I put fake blood on me and feigned an injury that I could get a wolf to come by. 
  After walking about four miles I decided to stop for lunch. The first place I picked was a mistake. Not enough wind and the mosquitos found me quite a lovely meal. So packing up I went to higher ground and found a giant boulder off the trail that worked out great as a table. Climbing up I felt the breeze and detected no bloodsucking insects. So out came the lunch of all good mountain men, peanut butter and jelly. Never gets old. I sat there and thanked God for his creation. Where I was sitting I could see the creek running and the meadow and the mountains beyond, but no wildlife but chipmunks. After lunch I headed down the trail and then the surprise came. The trail came to an end at the creek/small river. I walked back and checked the trail marker and was sure I did not make a mistake. Sure enough the loop was across the water. I used the binoculars to find the trail markers across the river. So the trail was a loop if you were willing to wade across. I went back to the bank of the river and looked down. There was mud for about three feet and evidence that the bison came this way, but I figured I would sink down a few inches if I stepped there. After contemplating taking my shoes and socks off for a trip across, I decided that I would just walk back the four miles the way I came. Still the walk was interesting as the view changed. :) I made it back to the car and decided to head out the north gate and visit Livingston Montana and a McDonald's WiFi. 
  Livingston was a nice town with a lot of very nice and expensive homes around. Having updated my phone I headed west on I90 to Boseman and then south to West Yellowstone and then back to the dorm.
  I uploaded some pictures and videos of my hike today to Facebook and called Myles and Oliver on the phone in the car. Seems Myles misses me and was upset about not seeing me. I miss him and Oliver too and Marek. 
  Have not decided what to do tomorrow but I sure I won't waste the day. On a side note it seems my car has developed an oxygen sensor issue. I will call the dealership tomorrow to find out what can be done. You all take care and keep smiling.

1 comment:

  1. Good choice on the river crossing Bret.

    ReplyDelete