Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Yellowstone Adventure - Day 49

   Last day of being off and I had to get up so that I could call a local Hyundai dealer so my car could get analyzed on why the check engine light is on. Arranged for an appointment next Tuesday at 1pm in Idaho Falls Idaho. While waiting for dealership to open so I could talk to them I decided to do some laundry.
  I decided I wanted a repeat visit to the Beartooth highway and lunch at 11,000 feet up. So I headed north and wanted to stop at the Lamar valley to look for wolves or bear. Still have not got a wolf picture yet. The drive was pretty but I could tell the temperature was colder than normal. The car kept showing the outside temperature in the mid sixties and the wind was blowing pretty hard. On my way north I stopped at the canyon intersection to fill up my tank with gas. Guess what? After filling the tank up I started the car and the check engine light went out. It never came back on again. So I probably will change my appointment to an oil change and tire rotation. I have been meaning to drive to Idaho Falls anyway.
  I arrived at the Lamar valley around ten thirty but other than great views and plenty of bison, I saw no bears or wolves. I can't catch a break. :) I stopped a few times in the valley to hike down to the river's edge for some pictures and videos. Several what I call photogenic bison were standing by the road or next to the river. They are the ones designated by the herd to be photographed by tourists today. I am sure the herd is very organized to allow the rest of the herd to sleep while a few put on a show.
  Leaving Lamar valley I exited the park shortly and headed up to the top of Beartooth Pass. I stopped a few times on the way up and noticed the temperature was steadily dropping. When I reached the top of the pass at 11,000 feet the temperature was 48 degrees and the wind was blowing a gale. Still I was not going to let this ruin my lunch. I managed to find a spot close to the ski lift that allowed me to back my car in to face the mountain views but kept the wind direction on the front of the car.  The Cubs were playing on the Sirius radio and I climbed into the back to eat lunch. The view was good but it was cold. Several tourists stopped by to take pictures and one group of Chinese tourists ask if they could take a picture of me with their young son. I said yes and he climbed up next to me in the back of the car and his mother took our picture. He laughed and she said thank you. I told her no problem and finished my sandwich. Turkey this time in case you were wondering if I ate anything besides peanut butter.
  On a side note. Come on Cubs what are you doing lately? Thank goodness the Cards and Pirates can't play much better.
  I headed down the mountain after taking pictures and videos toward Red Lodge. It is strange to see a state line marker 10,000 feet up, but Montana proudly stated you are leaving Wyoming and entering Montana. I guess they felt the sign could be a good place for tourist photo snapping of selfies.
  From Red Lodge I took the highway to Cody Wyoming. On the way I stopped to watch some cowboys herding some cows out of the mountains. They were on horses and two were moving the herd while two kept breaking off to move up the hill to bring more cows down.  A pretty neat site and I am sure they were laughing at the tourist who was watching them work.
  Got to Cody and headed to McDonald's for a tea and WiFi. Updated my phone and called Cathy.
  I headed back to the dorm via the east entrance. I did notice driving back that some tourists were not very good drivers today. Saw evidence of three wrecks. People need to settle down driving in the park and those going slow need to pull out and let those doing the speed limit to pass by.
  Well back in the dorm now and will be working late shift tomorrow. 11:30 to 9:30.  I hope that you all reading this are well. Take care and smile every once in awhile. God loves cheerful people.

2 comments:

  1. Sometime a loose gas cap will cause the check engine light to come on. Enjoy reading about your adventures. Prayers coming your way.

    ReplyDelete